Online storytelling skills for Unions – workshop
Trainer – Dan Mason – Cardiff Venue TBC
What’s it about?
Unions have powerful, important messages to get across, often with limited resources.
This workshop will develop techniques for creating stories in a variety of forms that grab attention, encourage sharing on social media … and save time. The lessons apply across website content, campaigns, newsletters and social media.
You’ll learn to develop story ideas for any topic then create engaging stories in a variety of mobile-friendly text and image-based forms. Using tools such as Canva, you’ll also learn to create multimedia content including charts, carousels and Stories, ready to share online and on social media.
Note: This workshop does not explore video skills, which are covered in separate courses.
Who’s it for?
WULF Project workers, Union officers and communicators who create content for a website or social media. No media or journalism experience is required.
What will I learn?
This hands-on workshop will teach you how to:
● Generate fresh ideas for content with a target audience in mind
● Write compelling headlines that grab attention and drive engagement
● Create a variety of text-based stories, using interviews or online sources
● Learn simple optimisation tips for attracting readers through search
● Learn to use Canva and other online tools to create visual stories, charts and graphics
● Source and edit images using online tools
What equipment will I need?
● A laptop computer with the Chrome browser installed.
● A free account at Canva.com, registered before the workshop. It is also recommended that participants download the free Canva app (iOS or Android) on their smart device.
You may need to register with other online tools on the day, so please have your email password handy.
This workshop is being jointly delivered by Wales TUC Cymru and NUJ Training Wales, and funded by the Welsh Government.
- Date: 29th September 2023
- Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Region: South East Wales